VALORANT: Cypher Guide. We haven’t seen much of Cypher since his reveal. Even now, there’s very little gameplay. That said, players who’ve had the opportunity to road-test him internally have confirmed he’s fun, potentially potent, but a little weaker than Sova and other peers. This is largely due to his static nature of play, and his Ultimate requiring a kill, rather than being an outright aggressive option.
Cypher is a one-man surveillance network who keeps tabs on the enemy’s every move. No secret is safe. No maneuver goes unseen. Cypher is always watching.
- Lots of utility through vision an dazes
- Tracking dart has team-wide value
- Neural Theft is brilliant if your team secures an early kill
- The damage potential of Cyber Cage is high, and buys your team valuable time
- His Ultimate is useless if you’ve yet to secure a kill
- Spycam is only viable if your team are already able to roam to place it
- Cage is fairly easy to spot, and players can comfortably avoid it
- Experienced players will tentatively approach tight corridors, reducing the value of tripwire
Cypher’s abilities revolve around vision and area denial. He plays somewhere between Sova and Viper, though I would argue that both are largely superior. There’s no mistaking he brings value in his ability to track enemies (similarly to Bloodhound in Apex Legends), but this value is limited by your own team’s success.
- Free Ability: Trapwire – Place a stealthed tripwire between two walls. Triggering enemies are restrained and revealed for a short time. If the trap is not destroyed, it activates to daze the trapped victim. Can be picked up.
- Cyber Cage – Toss out a remote activation trap. Reactivate to create a cage that slows enemies who pass through it. Look at a trap and press USE to detonate it, or hold ACTIVATE to detonate all.
- Signature Ability: Spycam – Place a remote camera. After placing, reactivate to view the video feed. Left click while in camera to fire a tracking dart. Recharges when picked up or killed.
- Ultimate: Neural Theft– Extract information from the corpse of an enemy, revealing the location of their living allies.
There’s currently no gameplay available for Cypher that we’re allowed to publish.
Tips & Tricks
- Cyber Cage is best used in locations where enemies are forced to walk. Its detonate damage is high, so be sure to utilise it to soften enemies up. The slow has value, but it’s far stronger when you’re lopping health off opponents.
- Spycam is used for its tracking dart, not just its vision. Using the camera leaves you vulnerable, so look, dart, and return to your body.
- Neural Theft absolutely has to be used on a first kill. Revealing opponents is invaluable, and it can often give you an early edge, from an early kill.
- Trapwire is ideally used away from your objective. It’s fairly useless when you’re on attack, so don’t get too hung up about it.
- Try to pair with an aggressive set of Agents. You’ll need the additional damage output, largely because much of Cypher’s kit can be avoided.
Have a tip or trick you’d like to add to our VALORANT: Cypher Guide? Let us know and we’ll update them here!