VALORANT: Viper Guide. Viper falls somewhere between Caustic (Apex Legends) and Mei (Overwatch) in terms of playstyle. She’s massively defensive, and while she can play aggressively, much of her kit revolves around area denial. The static nature of much of her kit also ensures she’s undoubtedly one of the strongest Agents on point defence. She pairs well with Brimstone and Cypher, who can make use of her poison clouds as a screen for the majority of their kids.
Viper deploys an array of poisonous chemical devices to control the battlefield and cripple the enemy’s vision. If the toxins don’t kill her prey, her mind games surely will.
- Unquestionably the queen of area denial
- Challenging to uproot when she’s bunkered down in a single location
- Pairs well with other area denial Agents, or those that utilise vision (such as Cypher)
- Viper’s Pit is incredible for defending a bomb and/or defusing
- Fairly static playstyle
- Lacks the damage burst of Agent’s such as Phoenix
- No real utility outside of denying vision
- Her abilities require fuel, which isn’t infinite
- She can only see enemies highlighted by her Ultimate. Denying vision also blocks her own.
Unsurprisingly, much of Vipers abilities revolve around poison and acid, whether it’s through complete area denial in her Ultimate (Viper’s Pit), or direct damage through Snakebite. Her kit has parallels to Phoenix’s, in the sense that there’s unquestionable similarities. That said, Viper is – I would argue – the more defensive option. Much of her kit allows for multiple activations, and when defending a point, can see her difficult to uproot.
- Snakebite – Fire a projectile that explodes into a pool of damaging acid.
- Poison Cloud – Throw a gas emitter that you can reactivate to create a poisonous smoke cloud at the cost of fuel. The emitter can be picked up and thrown again after a short cooldown.
- Signature Ability: Toxic Screen – Deploy a long line of gas emitters that you can reactivate to create a tall wall of toxic gas at the cost of fuel.
- Ultimate: Viper’s Pit – Emit a massive toxic cloud in a large area that lasts as long as Viper stays inside the cloud. Enemies inside the cloud are highlighted to Viper.
Tips & Tricks
- Utilise Snakebite as your primary poke when bunkered in. Its damage isn’t incredible, but once again it’s all about area denial and pressuring enemies through its splash.
- Poison Cloud and Toxic Screen both consume fuel. You’ve 100 in the tank, and it depletes at a little over 1 per second. Running both at the same time will see you run out of juice incredibly quickly.
- Viper needs to remain in the radius of her Ultimate for it to remain active. She also gains vision of those who come into contact with it. That said, it’s still challenging to use because you won’t know which angle enemies will enter the radius. Try to use it in a location where you can see all entry points.
- Toxic Screen can be turned on and off. Utilise this for quick vision checks, and to allow your team to throw their abilities out.
- It’s a good idea to utilise your Toxic Screen and flank enemies. Use it to buy you time to re-position so you’ve got a far better shot at ambush opponents.
Have a tip or trick you’d like to add to our VALORANT: Viper Guide? Let us know and we’ll update them here!